Right now, not all of BC’s conserved areas are taking care of nature. Though 15.5% of the province is covered by protected areas and provincial parks, the BC government is counting an extra 4% as protected through "other conserved areas", for a total of 19.5%.
To ensure that nature thrives for future generations—and forever—it’s crucial that areas claimed to be “protected” are actually protecting nature. This includes BC’s vital old growth forests, mountains, waters, plants, and animals.
The solution is simple: the BC government needs to remove these “other conserved areas” from their protected area count, or make sure these places actually protect nature.
Add your name to our petition, telling BC to ensure that all protected and conserved areas truly protect nature and biodiversity.